I don’t know how this happened but Spring is almost upon us! It seems like just yesterday I was complaining about how much I loathe the month of February and now here we are in March! Even though we are still getting snow here the signs of spring are slowly beginning to peek out from behind the clouds. Daylight Savings is this weekend! Easter is just weeks away!
I. Am. Ready.
So, in preparation for the change in seasons I’ve been attempting to revisit my Spring Cleaning checklist. I’ll be honest, it’s a pretty short list for me but there is a reason for that. I focus on tackling the huge pain in the butt jobs and getting them checked off the list. That way anything else after that is gravy!
Top 5 Spring Cleaning Tasks:
- Clean Fridge: Remove everything and then toss out the expired stuff (come on, you know we all have at least one fuzzy and unidentifiable item hiding in there). Clean all shelving and bins in a sink full of warm, soapy water. Then wipe down the inside and out of your fridge thoroughly before re-stocking.
- Dust EVERYTHING: I’m talking about starting at the top of the room and working your way down! From the tops of furniture to the spindles of your dining room chairs and every knick knack in between. This is probably one of my least favorite to do but it is SOOO satisfying when you stand back and see the difference it makes!
- Wash Windows: Inside and out people. Try to do this on a slightly cloudy day as it will make it much easier to see any streaks or missed spots. One of the best tips I have seen for windows is to use wadded up newspaper. I know it sounds crazy but it really works to eliminate the streaks!
- Scrub Floors: Now, I realize that most of us do this daily anyway. But, I’m talking about getting on your hands and knees with a scrub brush folks. You will be amazed at how much dirt sticks to the floor even after regular mopping! I’m not going to lie, this is a workout for me. In fact, I did this several times when I was nine months pregnant hoping to jump start labor. (FYI~It didn’t work)
- Clean Baseboards: In all honesty, I only just started doing this last year! I tend to forget about the baseboards but when we had our living room painted it only highlighted just how dirty they actually were. I’ve found that Mr. Clean magic eraser is the perfect tool for getting these clean. Not only does it scrub away any stubborn dirt or dust, it also easily slips into the harder to reach crevices.
The biggest tip that I can give you is to start cleaning at the top of each room and work your way down. Gravity is going kick in folks. Think about all of those dust bunnies from the top of the china cabinet falling onto EVERYTHING below. Yeah, it’s gross. So just take things one step at a time.
For me, the feeling of satisfaction as I cross of each big item is enough to make those daily cleaning tasks just a little less of a burden. Okay, now that you’ve tackled the huge tasks above you can sit back with the windows open and enjoy the fresh air or better yet, get outside!
Have you started your Spring cleaning yet? What’s on your checklist?